Friday, August 3, 2012

Copey strikes again

Copeland has always been my happy, go with the flow baby.  Now he is still a happy, go with the flow toddler…until you tell him NO.  When anyone tells him no he does one (or more) of the following: 1) purses his lips and gives the “mad face” (I have got to get a good picture of this), 2) does a quick scream at the top of his lungs, 3) hits someone or something, or 4) lays down on the floor and screams. I generally have to stifle a laugh when he acts this way.  It’s like he is trying to act really mad but he quickly gets over it (unlike his older brother!). 

As I’ve said before, hitting is Copeland’s main “bad behavior.”  Mac went through a biting phase when he was around this age, and Coe is going through a hitting phase.  Last night during bedtime stories, Copeland hit me.  I told him no and moved him away from the rest of us while Albi continued to read stories.  Coe got his feelings hurt, stuck his lip out and began to cry.  Next thing I know Mac has his hands over his face and is crying huge crocodile tears.  Albi and I looked at them and each other trying to figure out what was going on and why everyone is suddenly crying.  I asked Mac what happened and through his tears he said, “You were mean to Copey and made him cry.  I love my little brother, and I don’t want you to be mean to him.  He didn’t mean to hit.  It was just an accident.”  Albi and I really had to stifle a laugh at this one.  Never in a million years would we have thought that at this age Mac would be this protective of Copey.

This morning the boys were playing in the playroom while I was getting ready for work in my bathroom.  I have a video monitor in both of their rooms as well as the playroom so I was periodically watching them and constantly listening to them.  First I heard Mac yell, “Mom, Copey has a marker.”  I rushed into the playroom to find Copeland eating a black marker.  He had colored all over his hands and some on his legs plus a few facial drawings.  Time to put the “washable” marker to test.  Thankfully everything washed off quickly with soap. 

photo 1.1  photo 4photo 3

I sent Coe back to the playroom and then a few minutes later Mac yelled “Mom, Copey hit me in the face with a car.”  I decided to ignore him as they will generally work it out if I don’t intervene.  All was quiet for a little while until Mac came into my bathroom crying that his lip was really hurting.  Apparently Coe got him good because his lip was bleeding and puffed up.  I got Mac some ice and made sure he didn’t look at his busted lip in the mirror – experience has thought me that when Mac sees any hint of red from a boo boo a dramatic response will follow!

When I finally got in my car to go to work, I started thinking that Colleen is going to have a long three weeks with no more summer camp for Mac and both boys home all day.  I better quickly find some activities for them to do during the day before Copeland destroys our house and Mac!

No comments:

Post a Comment