Monday, August 13, 2012

Conversations with Mac

Since I didn’t start this blog at the beginning of the year I want to periodically go back and add in some notes I put in the boys “milestones” journal that I keep.  First is a conversation I had with Mac this winter:

Mac: when Colleen gets to school I'm going to run to her and use my listening ears because Colleen is the bestest person (pause) mommy are you a little sad?

Me: a little

Mac: Why? Do you want to be the bestest person?

Me: Maybe sometime but I'm happy that if it isn't me its Colleen. I like that you love Colleen

Mac: Mommy one day you can be the bestest person...when Colleen isn't here!

Next is a text I got form Colleen in the Spring:

Mac: do bears eat their vegetables?

Colleen: yes, they are omnivores like us which means they eat meat, fruit and veggies.

Mac: well, my bear ate meat when he was a baby but now he's changed his mind to be nice and is only eating vegetables and fruit. (furrowed brow and head tilted) ...he's a vegetablarian bear now!

Colleen: you mean vegetarian! Are we mean because we eat meat?

Mac: if I had to bite my meat out of the side of a zebra, then I would be mean, but mommy kills our meat at the grocery store.

Another text I got form Colleen in the Spring.  She was in her first trimester and still regularly getting morning sickness:

Colleen: “I got sick earlier, and Mac (who always sits outside the bathroom anytime I’m in there) said ‘Miss Colleen you don't sound so good. You need to make sure you burp after you eat like Coe. Can boys go into the bathroom with big girls if they're not peeing and are only getting sick?’  I was laughing while throwing up.”

From Mac to G: G do you think Deeda won't let you move by my house because I am loud and slightly wild?

Finally another text from Colleen

Colleen: Mac are you excited about earning Legos this week instead of an animal.

Mac: Yes, I'm excited about new Legos but I think I should get an animal too since I'm going to get such good reports and because you love me, right?

Colleen: Yes, I love you very much but we don't have to get toys to know that people love us. Toys are rewards for good behavior. What are ways we can show someone we love them?

Mac: Telling mommy that we love her, and daddy too! Giving Coe my crackers on the way home from school.

Colleen: Those are good, what else?

Mac: oh your toes are beautiful Miss Colleen and your flower skirt is nice!!

Colleen to me: How funny is that?! He already knows the art of flattery!
It got him out of being quizzed further and technically worked as an answer.

If these are the things he has come up with at 3 and 4 I can only imagine what I have in store when he is a teenager!

No comments:

Post a Comment