Thursday, February 28, 2013

oops

I am going to have to work backwards for the next few posts.  I’m way behind due to vacation, work and a minor injury. Albi and I went skiing last week in Vail, CO and overall it was a wonderful vacation with one hiccup.  I fractured part of my tibia bone where the ACL connects to the tibia…oops!  

The past few days have been an emotional roller coaster.  We got home late Thursday night, and honestly my knee was feeling pretty good.  As long as I kept my brace on and used one crutch I was good.  Albi had already scheduled an MRI for Friday morning at AI, but I asked him if he still thought we needed to go.  I was concerned that the MRI was going to show no injury, and I would be embarrassed for making a big deal out of nothing.  Due to the swelling, Albi insisted and in hindsight he was right.  When Albi came out of the MRI reading room with the MRI tech he had a look on his face that I have only seen one other time – when I was delivering Mac after 32 hours of labor and Mac was not making the deliver process easy.  I laughed and asked if I could go home, but instead the tech said I needed x-rays and Albi just looked at me and said “this is not good.” 

Low and behold within the hour I was on a table in Roger Ostrander’s office discussing my surgery options.  Basically my ACL was intact (a good thing) but the bone it was attached to was no longer attached to my tibia (a bad thing).  Roger needed to go in and reattach that bone fragment to the main part of the bone.  Minimally invasive surgery but long recovery. Albi quickly gathered up all kinds of supplies from the PT department and we headed home to start my pre-surgery PT!

Albi made several comments about me not taking the surgery seriously, but I disagree.  I definitely didn’t know what I was getting into, but I knew it was serious.  No point in moping over it though.  That wasn’t going to change anything, so I kept a positive attitude and tried to get as much done as I could pre-surgery.

We gave the boys lots of talks about not getting near my knee and being helpful while mommy had a hurt leg.  Their first real test came on Sunday when I made Albi get out of the house b/c I wasn’t sure when he could leave me alone with the boys again for the next few weeks.  While I was cleaning up the kitchen from lunch, I told Mac to head to Copey’s room and get Copey’s paci and Bs, so we could put him down for a nap.  When I went in there a few minutes later I first found Mac getting Coe’s shoes off.  Then I watched as Mac got up in the rocking chair and got Copey to follow while telling Coe he was going to read him some books before nap.  I quietly took pictures with my phone from the door. When the boys noticed me, Mac asked if I could please get Coe in his lap and not next to him so he could hold him better!  It was the sweetest moment and warmed my heart.  I know the next few weeks will be hard on them and on Albi b/c I’m so useless and require so much help myself, but we will manage and hopefully all come out fairly unscathed! 

  IMG_3197 IMG_3201

No comments:

Post a Comment