Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Best part of your day

Every Most nights at dinner we go around the table and everyone has to say the best part of their day.  We started this about a year and a half ago, and Mac would insist on not only going first but dictating the order that the rest of us went in.  I was generally last and often forgotten completely, but the point of the question was to encourage family discussion and to hear what he did during the day, so I didn’t mind. 

A year later, Mac still dictates the order we go in, but now I’m almost always first.  I usually ask him the best part of his day, and he will stop me and say “mom, remember how you taught me that its nice to let mams (or ladies) go first?  so what is the best part of your day?”  It brings a smile to my face every time he says this (especially when he calls ladies “mams!”).  It shows me he is growing up, his sole focus isn’t on himself and he is learning to be a gentleman.  Yay, some of my mom skills are working!

We have had some funny “best part of the day”  stories over the past 18 months.  I wish I had recorded them all.  Lately Copeland has also been able to chime in with a few words about his day - play KK, play Mackey, play outside, eat nack (aka snack).  Last week though he kept saying “see George” when asked about his favorite part of the day.  Mac finally explained that Miss Katie was dog sitting, and they were going with her some afternoons to feed the dogs.  Copeland apparently took a strong liking to George!  Katie confirmed that Coe followed George all over the house and was constantly trying to kiss him.  Wonder how much longer Albi and I are going to be able to avoid buying the boys a pet?  I’m hoping we can start with something like a fish!   

No comments:

Post a Comment