Thursday, May 15, 2014

MIA

I haven’t written a blog post since April 18 which is the longest I have gone since starting the blog 2 years ago.  All I can say is I have been busy!  Not the normal busy which has been my life since I had 2 kids and kept working full time.  The kind of busy where 5 hours of sleep a night is a lot and you lose 5lbs even though you are eating like crap and not exercising b/c you are lucky to get 1.5 meals in a day kind of busy!

I won’t go into all the details to bore everyone to death.  Plus most of the people who read my blog know what I have been doing for the past month, but I will give a brief overview, so when I go back and read this in 20 years I can remember!  Even though I can’t imagine ever forgetting Theresa Guy.

Theresa has been my client for 4.5 years.  I met her within a week of her son being killed in a car accident.  Her case went to trial last week and lasted 6 full trial days – that is long for a car accident case.  But it was a complicated case against a construction company for misplacement of a stop sign.  A stop sign that Theresa ran causing a t-bone collision that killed her son and her passenger and left her with permanent facial paralysis.  Theresa is seriously one of the kindest most good hearted people you will ever meet.  After deliberating for 4 hours, the jury returned a verdict with 90% fault on the construction company.  Theresa told me afterwards that she had been locked in an emotional prison for 4.5 years wondering if she killed her son – she has no memory of the accident due to a head injury she received and the construction company had repeatedly blamed her since she ran the stop sign.  The hug I got from her after the verdict was worth every minute, every hour I had been at the office and away from my family.  I had missed a lot of time with my boys over the past 3 weeks.  She had missed 4.5 years with her son and would continue to miss every day with him for the rest of her life. 

IMG_6875 IMG_6874

On top of the trial in late April Macye, our temporary nanny from March-May, decided to move to NYC with her boyfriend.  I had 10 days to find someone new. 

IMG_8163

I found someone – thank goodness – and then we had the flood.  Pensacola flooded like I have never seen.  Like no one has seen in 100+ years.  Streets not only flooded they completely washed away.  Houses no where near the water filled with 5ft of flood water.  Our church, Coe’s school, was underwater. 

Piedmont Blog drafts 9th and airport FUMC flood

Coe’s school announced it would be closed until May 27 for repairs.  Great…his last day was supposed to be May 30.  So in the middle of no sleep and countless hours at the office I now needed a full time nanny to keep Coe.  thankfully the one I had hired at the last minute when Macye left was available to work full time.  She has turned out to be a perfect fit and the boys really like her.  so now trial is over, I have full time help until the end of May and then Miss Katie comes back for the summer.  Mac’s last day of Kindergarten is next Friday {what?!?!} and the Gillups + Hart family beach trip begins that same day.

This last month has flown by, but I have learned a lot about being a trial lawyer, fighting for my clients, and most importantly not taking even a moment for granted.  I’m off today and tomorrow to spend time with my boys and celebrate a belated Mother’s day with my mom. I couldn’t have done the past month without Albi’s constant help as he played the role of daddy and momma.  The kids learned their own life lessons with daddy in charge{that story is for another day} but we all made it through with only a few tears {ok maybe a lot from me and Coe!}.  I love my life and all the craziness that goes with it.  God has a plan, and I am just trying to follow it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment