Sunday, October 21, 2012

Am I my mom?

Anyone who knows me knows I have a black thumb.  The only thing I have managed to keep alive so far are my kids!  Despite this I keep mom keeps trying to put potted plants at my house. We also just had some new landscaping done in the backyard, so a few weeks ago mom told me that I needed to ask the nanny to water the plants 1-2 times a week when she was outside with the boys because mom knew I would never remember to do it myself!  Apparently you have to water new plants more often until they really “take root.”  Whatever that means?!?! 

This morning the weather was beautiful, so the boys and I headed outside despite the fact that I need to be cleaning the house for supper club tonight.   While the boys were outside playing I actually remembered that I needed to water all the new yard plants.  I grabbed my coffee, got the hose, and I went to work.  All the sudden I had a flashback to my childhood.  I could see my mom standing by our pool, holding her cup of coffee and watering each and every plant with the hose.  She always looked so relaxed and at peace.  Like she was in her own little world while Forrest and I jumped on the trampoline behind her. I have to admit…it was relaxing and peaceful watering the plantsI was in my own world watching the boys jump on the trampoline and thinking how grateful I am for my life!  Am I becoming my mom?  I could only be so lucky.

In my mind mom always water the plants in a long beautiful robe.  I on the other hand was in an old t-shirt and boxers (neither of which I have ever seen my mom wear!), but still I was close.  I was watering; I was at peace; I was happy; the boys were happy.  I finished the job and while the boys continued to play I started writing this blog.  It was at that point that I remembered I completely forgot to water all the plants in the pots.  Ooops.  (stop blogging, back to watering)

(Back to blogging a day and a half later!) I may not be my mom yet, but I’m getting closer.  I don’t think I will ever look as pulled together nor will I be as organized.  I will probably kill a few more plants in my life time but hey I got two boys and she had two perfect, sweet, calm, clean, (did I mention perfect) little girls.   I have two often dirty, always wild, never quiet, perfect boys!  If I can be half the mom my mom was is for Forrest and I, I think I’ll do ok.

A few pics of the boys that I snapped in between watering, blogging, and picking up the house for supper club!           IMG_4235 IMG_4239 IMG_4244 IMG_4247 IMG_4249 IMG_4255 IMG_4258 IMG_4264 IMG_4269 IMG_4270 IMG_4271 IMG_4275 IMG_4277

The best quote of the morning:

Mac: I love mommy and daddy days when you don’t have to go to work and we can play together all day.

Mac, those are my favorite days too!  Love, mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment