Thursday, July 5, 2012

4th Birthday Party

I’ve been MIA for over a week due to work (see post Overworked) and then a family vacation which we are still in the middle of.  More on the family vacation soon, but first I want to finish Mac’s birthday week.

His party was the Saturday after his real birthday.  For many many reasons I was VERY happy that we had planned an indoor party this year.  In the past we have had a water wonderland in my mom’s yard.  It was always fun, but it was a lot of work and it was VERY hot!  A few months ago a friend told me that the local pet store has a party room that you can rent for birthday parties.  I knew immediately that this was perfect for my animal loving Mac!  I went to Petland and learned that for a small fee we could rent the party room, bring in any food and drinks that we wanted and Mac could pick out up to 10 animals to be brought in the room for the kids to play with.  PERFECT!  Party booked, invitations and thank you notes designed by my favorite paper designer Emily O. Holmes, and cupcake toppers and tags ordered from Etsy.

IMG_1678 

  IMG_2302 IMG_2299IMG_1693 

The morning of the party started with not just a little, but record breaking rainfall in Pensacola.  We got over 13 inches in less than 24 hours.  To say the streets were flooded was an understatement.  Albi was telling me that we needed to consider cancelling the party, but I knew Mac would be devastated and there was no other weekend for which to reschedule.  G and Deeda were on their way from Birmingham and Nana and Granddaddy had come in town the day before.  I heard from a few close friends throughout the day who promised to be there even if they had to swim.  I didn’t care if the party was all family and one or two friends…we were having it!

We got to Petland early so Mac could pick out the animals he wanted to come in the party room.  He immediately told the “party helper” that he was not picking any spiders or hamsters because his mommy would not like that…he was right!  While he picked his animals I set up!

IMG_2301 IMG_2294 IMG_2298

IMG_2300

Despite the weather the friends slowly trickled in and by 3:20 the room was full of people.  I have a feeling everyone was tired of being stuck in the house with their kids so they were willing to brave the flooded streets just to get out of the house! 

IMG_2439

Mac with his grandmothers (Gigi, G, and Yaya) and great grandmother (Nana).

IMG_2304 IMG_2306 

IMG_2313

Everyone had to sit in a circle and listen to the “rules” to know what to do when the animals came in.  Copeland wanted to sit in the middle of the circle!  This was the beginning of the party and the friends kept slipping in wet but happy one by one until the room was full of kids! 

IMG_2317 IMG_2335 IMG_2358  IMG_2397

IMG_2368 IMG_2409

IMG_2412

IMG_2426  IMG_2432   IMG_2434

(Mac with his grandfathers (Papou and Deeda) and his great grandfather (Granddaddy Fred)).

I have to admit I was very skeptical about a birthday party at a pet store.  I kept thinking about how loud it was going to be with 20+ kids, their parents, siblings and various animals crammed in a party room.  I was also worried about dirt and germs.  This may sound silly coming form a mom of two boys but boys or no boys I can’t stand super loud, chaotic messiness.  I also have to admit that Albi and I are not the best animal people in the world.  We like “other people’s” pets but neither of us are pushing to get a pet of our own.  Mac definitely gets his love obsession with animals from the Swindle (Albi’s mom’s) side of the family!  The thought of being in a room with animals, food and lots of kids made me nervous panicked.  The party sounded a lot like unorganized chaos!

I was pleasantly surprised.  This was the quietest boy birthday party I have been to…ever.  This had a lot to with the animals.  One of the “rules” was to use quiet voices to keep from scaring the animals.  Also the kids couldn’t run around wild because they were too busy sitting in the circle waiting to hold each new animal.  Although I brought hand sanitizer with me, Petland had a huge thing of it on the wall and the kids had to use it between each animal that was brought in the room (another “rule”). 

I was shocked at how well they all listened, stayed relatively quiet, sat in the circle, and constantly used the hand sanitizer.  Lizards, snakes, birds, cats, bunnies, dogs, etc - Petland we will be back!

 IMG_2437    IMG_2430

2 comments:

  1. Rach! I was thinking the same thing but looks like rules and live pets have some kind of magic :). So maybe you *should* get a pet in the house?! (easy for me to say!)
    p.s. love Coe in the middle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god! This is fantastic. I have also finalized one of the finest Venues in NYC for my nephew’s birthday and I must arrange delicious cupcakes for the day. This is a nice post and I am sure my sister is going to like this idea a lot. Happy birthday to the little one!

    ReplyDelete