Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Daddy

Although I assumed at some point in my life I would likely lose my parents I did not expect it to happen at the age of 36.  My dad was young relatively speaking, but he lived his 64 years to the fullest.  I’m unable to describe the past 7 days since he died other than to say its been an emotional roller coaster.  The sad times often come out of the blue with no warning, but the happy moments can surprise you just as quickly.  I have had several moments that made me very proud to not only have been my dad’s daughter but to be a part of a non-traditional family that has made it work better than most!

The boys have been my true light the past week.  Their sweet innocence and matter of fact way of looking at the world helps keep life in perspective.  Two days after Papou died they started back to school.  I told them both they had an extra angel watching over them at school and if they misbehaved they may feel Papou’s angel wings flicking them in the ear.  Mac quickly told me he better use his brain and think hard.  Yes, Mac that is exactly what Papou would want and expect!

Below are a few other conversations I had with the boys over the past several days:
Mac: Mom we are still connected to Papou you know.

Me: Yes we are Mac. He lives on in all of us.

Mac: We also have an invisible string that connects our hearts.

Me: what do you mean?

Mac: my friend Wyatt said his mommy was in heaven and he had an invisible string that connected him to her. If Papou is in heaven now then I must also have an invisible string that connects me to him.

When the coffin was lifted into the hearse Coe asked "Mommy, how does the driver know how to get to heaven?" God shows them the way Coe!

Version 2

Bruce Copeland Raymon, 64 died on the evening of August 11, 2015 with his loving wife, Gena, by his side.

Bruce was born December 17, 1950, in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. He went to the University of Alabama before attending University of Alabama Birmingham for medical school. He moved to Pensacola in 1982 and pursued a successful career as a gifted neurosurgeon for the Medical Center Clinic. Although he was a well-respected surgeon he was best known in the medical community for being the sharpest dressed person at the hospital. He wasn’t afraid of wearing clothes that got him noticed! He retired in 2003 and has enjoyed living life to the fullest on beautiful Pensacola beach. He loved snow skiing, and taught his girls at a young age to enjoy the sport by making them follow the tracks he left in the fresh powder regardless of how sharp his turns might be. He was an avid Alabama fan and on Saturdays in the fall he was often found cheering on the Tide and then toasting another big win. His favorite activity in the world though was sitting on his back porch with Gena and watching the beautiful sunsets over the water.
He leaves behind his wife of 13 years Gena (Ledford) Raymon; his daughters Rachael Gilmer (Albi) and Forrest Faulkner (Ed); 3 beautiful grandchildren and another one on the way; a niece, Elizabeth Love (Glynn) and his entire beach family. His parents, Reba and David Raymon and his sister Sylvia Raymon Wright preceded him in death.

Services will be held at Pensacola Beach Community Church on Friday August 14 at 3pm. Visitation will be at 2pm. Jack Kale will officiate. A celebration of life will be held afterwards at Bruce’s favorite beach hangout, the Sandbar.

In lieu of flowers contributions in Bruce’s memory may be made to Think First, a national injury prevention foundation.

Love and miss you daddy!

1 comment:

  1. I am truly sorry for your loss, Rachael. You and Forrest have been on my mind and in my prayers! So sweet to hear a child's perspective during such a difficult time.

    ReplyDelete