Friday, March 14, 2014

Not goodbye, but see you soon

About two and a half weeks ago I got news that completely shocked me.  It wasn’t catastrophic {although it felt that way at first}.  No one was dying {although I felt like I might}. And it wasn’t anything that couldn’t be solved {although I truly wondered if I could figured it out}.   Katie got a job as a Kindergarten  teacher, and they needed her to start asap.  WHAT?!?!  This was not my plan.  This was not her plan.  We had talked months ago.  We had worked it all out.  Coe would start pre-school in August, and Katie would get a teaching job at that time.  My perfectly timed smooth transition was suddenly derailed 5 months early.

I can’t blame Katie for taking the job.  She knew she wanted to go back to teaching in the fall and has had a resume on file with our county for a while.  When a local elementary school suddenly had to add a Kindergarten class due to increasing admissions, they offered her a job.  She couldn’t afford to turn it down and risk not getting a full time job in the fall.  That all made perfect sense, but it still wasn’t what I wanted.  Guess can’t always get what we want!  After talking to Katie I realized I had 12 days to find someone new to help with the boys.  It was temporary.  12 weeks.  Katie wanted to come back for the summer {thank you God!}. 

I quickly got word out that I needed a new nanny.  After a few days of panic and minimal luck finding someone, everything started falling into place. Knowing that it was only 12 weeks I needed to fill, I made the executive decision to let Coe start preschool early and find someone to work part-time for the next 3 months.  There was an opening in the 2yr old class at Mac’s old pre-school, and they were flexible with the days and hours I wanted him to come.  With the help of a former co-worker, I found Macye who was super excited to pick the boys up from school most afternoons and keep Coe and Frances all day once a week so we could maintain our “nanny share/play date” day.

We made it through week 1.  Coe likes school and is slowly adjusting.  He hasn’t quite figured out how to nap there, but I think it will come with time.  That or he is going to crash to sleep by 6:30 every night!  Mac has taken a little more time to adjust than I expected, and I have heard quite a few “she doesn’t do it like KK does”, but my little creature of habit is learning that things rarely stay the same forever! 

We all miss Katie – especially me! She was not only our nanny but also my personal assistant.  I’ll admit it.  I was spoiled!  But it wasn’t goodbye last Friday.  Instead it was see you soon.  We won’t have to wait 12 weeks to see KK again.  Matter of fact she is babysitting for us as soon as we get back from our Disney cruise.  KK is part of the family now, and I don’t care where she is working.  We aren’t going to let her stay away for too long!

IMG_6421ps copy IMG_6425ps IMG_6427

IMG_6430ps

No comments:

Post a Comment